What is Fever ?
Normal body temperature is between 36.5ºC-37.5ºC. Above this temperature is fever indicating a viral or bacterial infection, chronic disease or any immunological reaction.
Fever is body normal reaction towards infection and other illnesses. It is not a disease but a symptom.
Causes of Fever
- Viral infection causing common colds, sore throats and diarrhoea.
- After immunisation injection.
When my child is younger that 1years old, I will take her to the paediatric whenever she has fever. After 1 years old, I will give Paracetamol and try home treatment first. Paracetamol is one of the most important and commonly used medicine especially with babies and young children.
I will make sure that I have a bottle of paracetamol at home and in babysitter’s place just in case my children have high temperature especially in the midnight or public holidays.
Home management for fever are :
- Fever <40ºC with no complications
- Drink more water or fluids frequently to replenish lost fluids.
- Eat light and easily digested food such as bread, porridge, soup.
- Shower/sponge bath to reduce the fever.
- Dress lightly (Avoid long sleeve shirt & pants as this will increase the fever)
- Do not wrap with blanket (If the need arises, I will use traditional cloth diaper).
When to see a doctor?
- No improvement/ fever still persist after 3 days.
- Unable to take food and fluids.
Always follow the dosage recommended by doctor. I don’t think any parents will forget/ miss to give fever medicine to a sick child.
If the fever is still high (>39.5ºC) after taking Paracetamol, I will shower/ sponge bath to lower the temperature. Never give extra dosage of fever medicine.
A fever means the baby is trying to fight off an infection. Babies are prone to get infection easily as their immune system is still very weak. I try to avoid crowded areas such as congested shopping malls when my child is still small.
When they get bigger, their immune system will get stronger by taking balance and healthy diet, keep active with regular exercises and practise good hygiene.
How to measure body temperature?
- Measure body temperature with a thermometer, available from any pharmacy.
- Personnally, I prefer ear digital thermometer because result is fast.