HOW TO CHOOSE BABY BOTTLES ?
1. MATERIALS OF BABY BOTTLE
- Plastic Bottle – Inexpensive, lightweight and won’t break easily if dropped. However, they deteriorate (scratches, cracks, leaks, discoloration, and bad odor) over time and need to be replaced periodically. Older plastic bottles may contain BPA (or bisphenol A – a potentially harmful substance no longer allowed in baby products).
- Silicone Bottle – Made from food-grade silicone, flexible, BPA-free, and lightweight. If dropped, they will not break.
- Glass Bottle – Naturally BPA-free and durable, but heavy and breakable. Please note that some glass bottles come with silicone sleeves to protect from breakage.
- Stainless Steel Bottle – BPA-free, lightweight & durable. However, it is most expensive and you can’t see how much liquid is in them from the outside.
2. SHAPE OF BABY BOTTLE
- Standard – Tall and straight, and easy to fill and clean.
- Angled – Bent at the neck to prevent air from filling the nipple, which may make for easier feedings and a less gassy baby. However, the angled shape may make them harder to clean
- Wide – Designed to hold wide, short nipples that mimic a breast.Ideal for babies who will be going from breast to bottle frequently. A wide neck also makes cleaning easy.
- Vented : Include a built-in tube to prevent air pockets from forming in the bottle or nipple, to help prevent gas. Vents and other extra parts mean these can be harder to clean.
3. TYPES OF BABY BOTTLE NIPPLES
Baby bottles usually include nipples, but nipples can also be purchased separately and come in a variety of shapes and types, which is especially helpful for babies with special feeding needs. Try a few different sizes and styles of nipple to see what works best for your baby.
- Traditional Nipples: Bell-shaped, usually latex nipples that come with most baby bottles.
- Orthodontic Nipples: Designed to protect baby’s palate, these nipples have a bulbous top and flatter base.
- Flat-topped nipples: Shaped more like the breast, bigger base bulb and a flatter top.
- Anti-vacuum Nipples: Designed to prevent colic and gas by limiting the amount of air your baby takes in.
- Multi-flow Nipples: Multiple stage flows (Stage 1 and 2, for example) in the same nipple. To control the flow, just adjust the positioning of the nipple
Baby Bottle Brands
- Comotomo Natural Feel Anti-Bacterial Heat Resistance Silicon Baby Bottle: Placed a smart, non-leaking dual air-vents to prevent colic, made a truly wide-neck design for easy cleaning, and used hygienic silicone material so that you won’t ever have to worry about toxic chemicals. Their bottle is designed to mimic breastfeeding to help babies easily transition back and forth from nursing to bottle feeding. It’s rescued so many families dealing with ‘nipple confusion’ and ‘bottle rejection’.
- Dr. Brown’s Natural Flow Anti-Colic Options+ Narrow Baby Bottle: Anti-colic internal vent system is clinically proven to reduce colic. Dr. Brown’s bottles provide a more comfortable feeding experience for baby by decreasing spit-up, burping and gas.
- The Haakaa Silicone Baby Bottle : Made from 100% food grade silicone, which makes it uniquely soft and safe for your baby. It is easy for little hands to hold, and because the silicone is impact resistant, you can teach independence without worrying about breakages.
- Haakaa Glass Baby Bottle : Made from temperature-resistant borosilicate glass and designed to provide the most natural feeding experience possible for you and your baby. The orthodontic thumb-shaped teat mimics the shape of a mother’s nipple during breastfeeding, and the offset position allows you to feed your baby without completely inverting the bottle. It is ergonomically designed to be held easily and comfortably during feeding.
- Haakaa Stainless Steel Thermal Baby Bottle: Keep liquids hot or cold for 6 or more hours so no more worrying about hot water for formula feeding or icepacks to keep milk cold when you are on the go. Unbreakable and naturally bacteria resistant. Medium flow, anti colic nipple allows baby to drink continuously without gasping for air or drinking bubbles. Accessories available for easy conversion to toddler sippy cup or straw bottle.
- Hegen PPSU PCTO Bottle : Allows you to Express, Store and Feed within a single container by simply swapping the bottle’s feeding head, storage lid and adapter to convert a feeding bottle into a breast milk storage container or pumping container. The smooth interior surface, wide bottle opening and minimal parts make cleaning exceptionally easy.
MAM Baby bottles make it easy to switch between breastfeeding and bottle feeding. MAM bottle ranges:-
- Easy Start Anti-Colic Bottle
- Easy Active Baby Bottle
- Feel Good Glass Baby Bottle
- Medela Calma : An innovative feeding solution created for breastfed babies. It is designed to not interfere with breastfeeding, to let your baby feed the way they learned at the breast.
- Medela Breast Milk Bottle with Teat : A versatile container for pumping, storing, transporting and feeding expressed breast milk.
- Medela SpecialNeeds Feeder : Designed for babies who are unable to create a vacuum due to certain syndromes and neurological disorders, or because they were born with a cleft lip or palate. The SpecialNeeds Feeder can be used with teats of two different sizes.
- Medela SoftCup : Ideal for the short-term feeding babies with sucking difficulties. With its soft, spoon-shaped mouthpiece it is an easy and gentle way to feed. The amount of milk the baby takes can be easily tracked and controlled. It is an excellent alternative to cupfeeding. The Medela SoftCup comes with an 80 ml container with curved bottom.
- NUK Premium Choice Temperature Control PP Bottle: The shape of the Premium Choice Teat is modelled on a mother’s nipple as she breastfeeds. It is particularly soft and helps prevent colic. The baby bottles that go with it are available in many modern designs.
- NUK Nature Sense PP Bottle: We cannot replace Mother Nature – but we can take her as a role model.
- SofTouch Wide-Neck Teat on our nursing bottle helps to minimise nipple confusion, making it easier for mom to switch from breast to bottle.
- Cleft Lip and Palate PP Nursing Bottle : Designed specifically to make feeding easier for little ones with cleft palates.
- Philips Avent Classic Bottle : Clincally proven to reduce colic.
- Philips Avent Natural (PP/ PPSU/ Glass) Bottle : Easy to combine with breast feeding thanks to naturally shaped teat with comfort petals.
- Closer to Nature Baby Bottles: The original most breast like bottle, this is every mums dream. Transition your little one from boob to bottle and back with less fuss from your baby and less stress for you.
- Advanced Anti-Colic Baby Bottles: No parent wants to see their little one experience colic symptoms. So we’ve paired our breast-like teat with powerful anti-colic technology to take air out of milk and away from baby’s tummy.
- Glass Bottle : Eco-friendly bottle & long-lasting bottle is recyclable, easy to clean and super durable. Perfect for parents who want to do that little bit extra for the planet.
- PPSU Baby Bottles: Switching between breast and bottle feeding has never been simpler. With super soft, breast-like teat and built-in anti-colic valve, it could just be the best thing for baby. Inspired by mum, designed by experts.
- Teats : Inspired by mum herself – flexing, stretching and moving just like mum so baby will easily transition between breast and bottle. Acceptance guaranteed.