According to health experts breast milk is the best nutrition you can give to infant for their optimal growth and development because it contains just the right amount of all the nutrients needed to fulfil infant’s total nutritional requirements during the first 6 months of life. It contains antibodies that can protect your child from illnesses.
However, there are some mothers who are unable to provide sufficient/ any breast milk due to medical, lifestyle or other reasons. If you can’t breastfeed or choose not to, formula milk is the best alternative to breastmilk. Commercial infant formulas are developed according to regulations to provides essential vitamins and nutrients to your baby that can help in their development and immunity.
You may be planning to:-
- exclusively breastfeed but you simply want to keep infant formula around “just in case”
- do a combination of breastmilk and formula
- exclusively formula-feed your baby
Generally, there are few types of infant formula:
- Cow’s Milk: Formulas made from cow’s milk and is treated to make it safe and easily digestible for infants.
- Soy-Based: Formulas made from soy milk contain a protein (soy) and a carbohydrate like glucose or sucrose. For those looking to exclude animal products from your baby’s diet or if your baby is unable to digest lactose.
- Specialized : Formulas designed for babies with certain medical needs or preterm babies.
- Hydrolyzed: Designed for babies who can’t tolerate cow’s milk or soy-based formulas or for babies who have a protein allergy. Formulas contain protein that has already been broken down (hydrolyzed) into smaller proteins that can be more easily digested.
While the best infant formula doesn’t exist, there is a baby formula in the market that will meet your little one’s unique needs. When it comes to choosing baby milk powder for your little one, it is important to consider these factors:-
- Availability – Select a baby formula that’s easy for you to get from stores near you. For online ordering, make sure your ordered in advance to prevent stress due to delivery delays.
- Cost – Consider your budget before choosing your infant formula. If your baby drinks XX ounces of infant formula a day, it’ll cost you RMX,XXX by their first birthday.
- Don’t let marketing claims sway you – Some claims on baby formula packaging might not have enough scientific evidence.
- Start with a standard commercial baby formula – Unless your baby’s pediatrician recommends otherwise, it’s good to start with standard cow’s milk infant formula. It’s best to stick to a formula once you find one that works for you and your baby.
Lastly, when choosing a milk formula:
- Make sure it is not expired.
- Make sure the container is sealed and in good condition. If there are any leaks, puffy ends, or rust spots, do not feed it to your baby.
- Make sure choose the right stage – eg. Stage 1 (0- 6 months), Stage 2 (6-12 months) & Stage 3 (1 year old and up), and etc.
Milk Powder Brands
- Anmum MATERNA: For women who are pregnant or planning for a pregnancy
- Anmum LACTA: For breastfeeding mothers
- Anmum ESSENTIAL Step 3: For children 1 – 3 years old
- Anmum ESSENTIAL Step 4: For children 4 – 6 years old
- Anmum ESSENTIAL GOLD: For children 1- 6 years old
- Anmumlac Infant Formula Step 1 : For infant 0 – 6 months
- Anmumlac Follow-Up Formula Step 2 : For infant 6 – 12 months
- AptaGro Step 3: Formulated with Prebiotics and Probiotic, & the highest DHA for child 1- 3 years.
- AptaGro Step 4: Formulated with Prebiotics and Probiotic, & the highest DHA for child 4 years onwards.
- Milnutri Sure: Specially formulated to support child’s Catch-Up Growth for child 1-10 years old.
- Aptamil Step 1 Infant Milk Formula : For 0 – 6 months
- Aptamil Step 2 Follow-on Milk Formula : For 6 – 12 months
- Aptamil C-SynB Tailored Nutrition Milk Formula : For 0 – 12 months
- Certified Organic Equispire Step 3 Toddler Milk Drink: 12+ MONTHS
- Certified Organic Equinutri Step 4 Junior Milk Drink: 3 + YEARS
- Certified Organic Equimum Pregnancy Formula: ADULT
- Dugro NextGen NUTRI dengan Zat Besi Aktif: Langkah 3 (1-3 tahun), Langkah 4 (3-6 tahun), dan Langkah 5 (6 tahun ke atas)
- Dumex Dugro Fruit & Veg: Langkah 3 (1-3 tahun), Langkah 4 (3-6 tahun), dan Langkah 5 (6 tahun ke atas)
- Dugro Sure: Rumusan untuk yang memerlukan nutrien tumbesaran tinggi untuk menyokong tumbesaran fizikal optimum (1-9 tahun)
- Dugro®Complete: Rumusan untuk yang memerlukan nutrisi “Catch-Up Growth” (1-9 tahun)
- Dumex Dupro Step 1 Infant Milk Formula : For 0 – 12 months
- Dumex Dupro Step 2 Follow-on Milk Formula: For 6 – 36 months
- Dumex Dupro Soy Tailored Nutrition Milk Formula : For 0 – 12 months
- Dumex Dugro Soy Tailored Nutrition Milk Formula: For 1 – 6 years
- Dumex Mamil Step 3: For kids 1 – 3 years old
- Dumex Mamil Step 4: For kids 4 – 9 years old
- Mamex Step 1 Infant Milk Formula : For 0 – 12 months
- Mamex Step 2 Follow-on Milk Formula : For 6 – 36 months
- Dutch Lady 123 : For children 1-3 years
- Dutch Lady 456: For children 4-6 years
- Dutch Lady 6+: For children above 6years
- Dutch Baby Milk formula: For 0-12 months
- Dutch Baby Milk formula: For 6-18 months
- Fernleaf 1-3: For children 1-3 years
- Fernleaf 4-6: For children 4-6 years
Friso Gold/ Frisolac
- Frisomum Gold: Suitable for pregnant & lactating mums to provide essential nutrients important for mum & foetus.
- Friso Gold 3: Suitable for 1-3 years old to support your child’s mental & physical growth
- Friso Gold 4: With over 50 essentials nutrients to support your child as he/ she steps into pre-schooling age
- Frisolac Step 1: For infants aged 0-12 months
- Frisolac Step 2: For infants aged 6-18 months
- Frisolac AR: For infants aged 0-12 months. Specially formulated for children with minor digestive problems such as vomiting, colic & constipation.
- Frisolac HA: 0-12 months.
- Gentle Sheep Premium Sheep Milk Toddler Formula: Premium Sheep Milk Toddler Formula (From 1 year)
- Probiotic Family Sheep Milk Formula: Premium blend of New Zealand grass-fed sheep milk and high quality prebiotics and probiotics.
- Karihome Mama Milk Contains Complete Nutrition For Pregnant Mothers & Nursing Mothers.
- Karihome Step 3 Growing-Up Formula: Formulated to meet the nutritional needs of children from 1 to 3 years.
- Karihome Step 4 Pre-School Goat’s Milk Formula: Its composition has been modified to meet the nutritional needs of this age group.
- Karihome Goat Whole Milk Powder: Produced from fresh goat milk, from which only the water has been removed. The goat milk powder can then be reconstituted in water to produce a crisp and wholesome drink that provides the unique nutritional benefits of goat milk for adults.
Morinaga Chil-kid Step 3: A Japanese formula specially designed for Asian children from 1-7 years old. It contains a mild vanilla taste and is enriched with essential nutrients, to support the optimum growth and development of your loved ones.
- NESTLE MOM: Formulated Milk for Pregnant and Lactating Mothers
- NESTLE NANKID OPTIPRO STEP 3: For children 1-3 years old
- NESTLE NANKID OPTIPRO HA STEP 3: For children 1-3 years old. Contains 100% Partially Hydrolysed Whey Protein which is broken down into smaller pieces using Nestlé’s unique process.
- NESTLE LACTOGROW 3: For children 1-3 years old formulated with probiotic L. reuteri that helps to improve digestive functions, supports body defense and aids nutrients absorption.
- NESTLE LACTOGROW Aktif: For children 1-3 years old Specially formulated milk powder for your growing child that’s packed with high calcium to support development of strong bones and teeth.
- NESTLE NAN PRO Infant Formula Step 1: For infants from birth to 12 months.
- NESTLE NAN PRO Follow up Formula Step 2: For infants from 6 to 36 months
- NESTLE NAN HA Infant Formula Step 1: For infants from birth to 12 months likely to be at risk of developing an allergy.
- NESTLE NAN PRO Follow up Formula Step 2: For infants from 6 to 36 months likely to be at risk of developing an allergy.
- NESTLE NAN Lactose Free: Suitable for infants (0-12 months) who are suffering from diarrhoea and symptoms of lactose intolerance.
- NESTLE PRE NAN: Special formula for pre-term.
- Novalac Novamil 1+: Provides well-balanced and complete nutrients. For children 1 – 3 years old
- Novamil KID DHA : High in DHA, prebiotics GOS, Omega 3 & 6 and enriched with 5 nucleotides. For children 1 – 10 years old
- Novamil KID IT : Clinically proven to relieve child constipation within 7 days. For children 1 – 10 years old
- PediaSure : Complete & balanced nutrition supplement for picky eaters for 1-10 years
- PediaSure 10+ : Complete & balanced nutrition supplement specifically designed for 10-15 years
- PROMAMA: For pregnant and lactation mom.
- S-26 PROGRESS STEP 3 : For 1 to 3 years old. Establish a strong foundation for learning.
- S-26 PROMISE STEP 4 : For 4 to 9 years old. Establish a strong foundation for learning.
- s-26 GOLD PROGRESS STEP 3 : For 1 to 3 years old. Support brain connection by 10X faster.
- S-26 GOLD PROMISE STEP 4 : For 4 to 9 years old. Support brain connection by 10X faster.
- ASCENDA Catch-Up Growth : Support increase of Height & Weight for children age 1-7 years.
- S-26 SMA STEP 1 : For 0 to 12 months
- S-26 GOLD SMA STEP 1 : For 0 to 12 months (upgraded formula)
- S-26 PROMIL STEP 2 : For 6 to 18 months
- S-26 GOLD PROMIL STEP 2 : For 6 to 18 months (upgraded formula)
- S-26 COMILAC : Formulated with 100% whey protein that has been partially hydrolyzed for babies 0 – 12months
- Similac Mom: Specially formulated for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers
- Isomil Plus: A nutritionally complete, soy-based, lactose-free formula
- Similac Total Comfort : Growing-up formula that is gentle on the tummy
- Similac Gain Plus Gold: A premium growing up milk with 2’-FL for children 1 to 3 years old
- Similac Gain Kid Gold: A premium growing up milk with 2’-FL for children 4 to 9 years old
- Similac Intelli-Pro : A growing up milk for children 1 to 3 years old
- Sustagen Junior 1+ : Nutritious milk scientifically formulated by Mead Johnson for children aged 1 to 3 years old.
- Sustagen Kid 3+ : Nutritious milk scientifically formulated by Mead Johnson for children aged 3 to 6 years old.
- Sustagen School 6+ : Nutritious milk scientifically formulated by Mead Johnson for children aged 6 years old and above.
It contains important nutrients found in the 5 Food Groups from the Food Pyramid, and also has DHA.