I was shocked and don’t know what to do when I saw blood coming out from my 6years old daughter nose. I never encounter this scenario before and luckily the bleeding didn’t persist. She did complaint blocked nose and sore throat the night before.
I quickly bring her to the clinic. The doctor informed that the skin of my daughter nose is very thin and very prone to nose bleeding if she picked or rubbed her nose too hard. She prescribed antibiotic cream to be applied for few days. The antibiotic cream can only be applied 1day after bleeding.
Within 6months, my daughter’s nose bleeding occurred for 3 times. I decided to look for more information about nose bleeding to equip myself with more knowledge.
What is nose bleeds?
Nose bleed is often related to the ‘little area’ in the nose that can bleed easily.
What causes nose bleeds?
There are many causes and they include:
- Cold and allergies.
- Sinus infections.
- Blowing nose too hard, picking nose, nasal injury, foreign object inside the nose.
- Child’s temperament – too excited, angry,…..etc
What are the signs & symptoms?
- Bleeding from one or both nostrils.
What is the treatment for nose bleeds?
- Sit up straight.
- Press lower soft part of the nose with a finger and hold it for 5 minutes.
- Breathe through mouth.
- Release nose after 5 minutes and check if bleeding stopped.
- If still bleeding, repeat pinching the nose for another 5 minutes. If bleeding persists, seek medical help at the nearest clinic or emergency department.
1 day after bleeding, apply antibiotic cream for few days:-
- put little bit antibiotic cream on child’s index finger & request them to apply on the affected nose.
How do you prevent nose bleeds?
- Avoid nose picking and vigorous nose blowing.
- Treat underlying medical problems.